Dr Roger J. Best is widely regarded as a pioneer in the field of marketing metrics. The author of Market-Based Management, he was the first to introduce Marketing Performance Tools in the first edition in 1996. Today MBM is in its 6th edition and is used in many corporations and top MBA programs.
Dr. Best developed the Marketing Metrics Handbook in response to managers who wanted easier access to marketing metrics and greater ease of use. While the project started as a traditional book he shifted to a digital book to make the use of marketing metrics more interactive and easy to learn.
He began his career at GE after completing a degree in Electrical Engineering. While at GE he worked as an engineer and product management and also completed an MBA. He then went on to obtain a PhD in Marketing and work in teaching and executive education.
He is an Emeritus Professor of Marketing at the University of Oregon with many teaching awards including the American Marketing Association Distinguished Teach of the Year. He is also author of the books and articles below.
- Market-Based Management: Strategies for Growing Customer Value and Profitability, 6th ed. (2012)
- Consumer Behavior: Building Marketing Strategy, 10th ed. (2007)
- Marketing Metrics Handbook (US Patent Pending), 2009-2012
- More than 50 published articles and co-author of Article of the Year (Marketing Productivity) - Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science.
As a marketing professional he developed the Marketing Excellence Survey (www.MESurvey.com), an assessment tool to benchmark company and manager marketing knowledge and marketing attitudes, MarkPlan (www.Mark-Plan.com), a software program for building marketing plans, MarkProf (www.MarkProf.com) a software program for managing pricing and profitability. He also holds a US Patent for a Pop-Top Filter Holder for micron filters.
In marketing executive education and marketing consulting he has worked with 3M, Agilent Technologies, Airtouch, Covidien, General Electric, Hewlett-Packard, Dow Chemical, Dow Corning, DuPont, Eastman-Kodak, James Hardie, Lucas Industries, MediaOne Group, Tektronix, Textron, US West, and others. He also taught in the MBA and Executive Education Program at INSEAD in Fontainebleau, France.
- Education - BSEE, M.B.A. and Ph.D. in Marketing
- General Electric - Engineering and Product-Market Management
- GE Corporate Marketing - Marketing Consulting & Executive Education
- Lucas Industries - Marketing VP, reporting to the CEO
- Roger J. Best, Inc. - President & Owner, Marketing Productivity Software
- Emeritus Professor of Marketing – University of Oregon
- Taught marketing at the University of Arizona & INSEAD in Fontainebleau, France
- Awarded 15 teaching awards including AMA Distinguished Teacher of the Year
- 25 years in marketing education and consulting with 3M, Agilent Technologies, Airtouch, Covidien, General Electric, Hewlett-Packard, Dow Chemical, Dow Corning, DuPont, Kodak, James Hardie, Lucas Industries, MediaOne Group, Tektronix, Textron, US West and others.
- Marketing Metrics Handbook (www.marketingmetricssolutions.com)
- MarkPlan (www.mark-plan.com)
- Marketing Excellence Survey (www.mesurvey.com)
- Marketing Performance Tools (www.rogerjbest.com)
- MarkProf (www.markprof.com)
- Pop-Top Filter Holder (US Patent).